Interesting thing about the elder board at Antioch church: it was ethnically and economically diverse.
- Barnabas; (Acts 4:36) “son of encouragement”; priestly tribe, Cyprus; landowner
- Simeon who was called Niger; Jewish name, apparently with nickname (Latin) meaning “black.” Child of mixed marriage? (Jewish father, African mother?)
- Lucius of Cyrene; Roman name (upbringing) from city in Libya (No.African)
- Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch; possibly foster-brother; Jewish name; associated with a despised, despotic ruling family; exposed to wealth.
- Saul; well educated Jewish lawyer. Vicious persecutor of the church; excellent teacher
In other words, the Antioch church became a church that only the Spirit of God could have imagined! For the whole story and what we can learn from it, click here.